- The studio shared “extracts of a diary” that seem to belong to a future character
- Fans gave suggested this is Vantage, who was leaked a few months ago
- She is a sniper-wielder with some interesting team-focused skills
Respawn Entertainment teased what could be a future character by sharing their “diary” on Twitter.
Respawn Teases New Character
One of the best marketing strategies for games and other media is to drum up hype for upcoming things by teasing the public with mysterious tidbits of information. Apex Legends’ developer Respawn Entertainment knows this very well and has used the marketing technique successfully in the past. Now, the studio once again teases fans with a first look at what could be the next Apex playable character.
Sharing on Twitter what looks like pages from a diary, Respawn seems to show us the story of a character that lives with their mother somewhere in a rural isolated location. The six different entries seem to be written over a month and tell this story with a childlike tone of writing and accompanying doodles of guns, monsters, and even a list of one week’s kills.
Who Could This Character Be?
Fans were quick to start hypothesizing about the new teaser by Respawn, and some were quick to make the connection with a sniper-oriented character leaked a few months ago. Back in early spring, there was a major Apex Legends leak that revealed nine new characters, and one of them, Vantage, seems to resemble Respawn’s teaser. We still don’t know much about the character’s lore, but considering Vantage is one of just two recon classes that have been leaked, it’s not too difficult to assume the diary is theirs.
However, we do know some of Vantage’s abilities. For one, their special sniper rifle can provide a damage buff for their teammates. A short video was posted on Reddit a few months ago showing, in brief, the characters’ abilities and other features. (Vantage’s segment begins at 3:36.):
Other leakers provided a short overview of the character’s abilities:
- Passive: Sniper Kit – Tactical info available in ADS unarmed or any long-range scopes (Legend name, shield rarity, team size, and range).
- Tactical: Echo Launch – Launch towards your winged companion, Echo. Order Echo by tapping Q. Launch to Echo by holding Q.
- Ultimate: Mark to Kill – A custom rifle that scans enemies and boosts damage for Vantage and her squad. Damage doubles for Vantage on successive shots. Team gets a 15% bonus on marked targets.
It’s still uncertain if Respawn’s teaser is regarding Vantage or not, but the evidence seems to point in that direction. Considering Apex’s Season 13 is coming closer, we will most likely hear more of her in the coming weeks.