- Over 50 teams from across the globe compete for a total prize pool of $250,000
- OpTic Gaming emerged victorious from the brawl, defeating FaZe Clan in the final showdown
- The team pockets the grand prize of $100 000 along with 100 000 HCS points
OpTic Gaming defends their honor as 2022 HCS champions by winning this year’s HCS Kickoff Major Charlotte.
OpTic Emerges Victorious
This weekend saw the Charlotte Convention Center be the central stage for Halo esports fans as the venue hosted the Kickoff event for this year’s Halo Championship Series. The event, which saw over 50 teams from Europe, North America, Oceania, and Mexico participate for a chance to win up to $100 000 and just as many HCS points, saw OpTic Gaming emerge on top.
OpTic Gaming’s squad defeated FaZe Clan in a heated final that ended in a 4-3 advantage for the former. With this victory, OpTic defend their reputation as last year’s HCS champions and sets itself on the path for another such title this year.
The champions demonstrated impeccable performance and stamina throughout the whole event, taking down Sentinels with a 3-1, Quadrant (3-2), and Cloud9 (3-0), in the Kickoff Major’s initial stages. Last year’s champions did not slow down, outplaying Shopify Rebellion, Gamers First, and FaZe Clan one by one in the latter stages of the event. Only FaZe managed to put up a fight against OpTic with the match between the two ending in a 3-2. The former were eager for revenge when the two teams met at the event’s finals and put up a strong resistance. Alas, OpTic were just a little bit better in almost every way, allowing them to inch just past their opponents and win the event. Optic now takes an early and strong lead in this year’s HCS with 100 000 HCS points and $100K in their pockets.
Here’s a full list of the top teams with the prize money and HCS points they have won:
- 1st place: OpTic Gaming — $100 000 + 100 000 HCS points
- 2nd place: FaZe Clan — $60 000 + 60 000 HCS points
- 3rd place: Spacestation Gaming – $30 000 + 44 000 HCS points
- 4th place: Native Gaming White – $17 500 + 36 000 HCS points
- 5th-6th place: Shopify Rebellion and Gamers First – $8 000 + 32 000 HCS points
- 7th-8th place: Complexity Gaming and Sentinels — $5 000 + 28 000 HCS points
- 9th-12th place: TSS Esports, Believe The Hype, Proton Gaming, and Quadrant — $2 500 + 22 000 HCS points
- 13th-16th place: Divine Mind, Luminosity Gaming, Cloud9 and Natus Vincere — $1 625 + 18 000 HCS points