Reading Time:

Published: May 16, 2024

Written by: Barney


  • This is a creator-led media endeavor to expand the FaZe Clan IP
  • The new company secures an $11 million investment from Matt Kalish of DraftKings
  • FaZe Media aims to become a valuable media company within the creator economy

GameSquare further cements its place in esports and gaming after the April acquisition of FaZe by launching a new media company with the IP in mind.

GameSquare Launch FaZe Media

Aside from being one of the largest organizations in esports, FaZe Clan is also a media sensation, encompassing many streamers and other content creators under its umbrella. Recently, the org will be expanding this side of its IP by launching FaZe Media, a creator-led media endeavor spearheaded by FaZe Clan’s owner – esports holding company GameSquare.

The launch of FaZe Media is facilitated thanks to an $11 million investment from Matt Kalish, President and Co-Founder of fantasy sports platform DraftKings. As a result of this, Kalish will become a member of the board of FaZe Media, which is in turn led by FaZe Clan Founder Richard “FaZe Banks” Bengston.

FaZe Media will be a subsidiary of GameSquare with the holding company owning 51% and Kalish owning the remaining 49%. According to the official release, the company will be focused on “building on the value of the FaZe brand IP and returning creative control of the brand to its founding leaders”.

Kalish’s significant involvement in the new deal should not come as a surprise as he has previously been involved with the esports org. FaZe and DraftKing signed a partnership in 2021 where the latter became the former’s official betting partner.

The announcement of FaZe Media comes at the end of a long period of rebuilding for parts of the parent IP’s structure. FaZe Clan was acquired by GameSquare in March of this year, although the process began in October of 2023. In April 2024, the esports organization removed a significant amount of its content creation roster in a bid to start afresh.

“Refreshing the roster of creator talent and developing compelling content with the internet’s favorite personalities will enable FaZe Media to become a valuable media company within the creator economy,” GameSquare said of the announcement of the new company.

GameSquare Has Grown a Lot

Over the past few years, GameSquare has seen its presence in the esports and gaming industry grow significantly. By acquiring FaZe clan this year, this prominence is further cemented. Established in 2004, FaZe has grown into one of the most recognizable brands in gaming as a whole, fielding multiple esports teams across many titles and hosting numerous content creators.

FaZe Media is the first major project that GameSquare is undertaking after acquiring the IP. According to Justin Kenna, CEO Of GameSquare, the idea is to return FaZe’s founders to reboot their brand and reestablish its authenticity. “We are thrilled to better capitalize this business for growth with $11m in new capital from Matt, and to strengthen the FaZe Media board with his addition. Matt deeply believes in the power of founder and creator-led organizations and shares the vision to return FaZe back to its roots by empowering its creators,” Kenna further explained.

Check out Bitcasino for the best bonuses

From our 5 star review…

“In fact, we would argue that Bitcasino’s esports product is one of the best we have experienced. It’s simple, clear-cut, and offers a variety of products and options that other platforms are failing to deliver on.”

MORE INFO

Similar posts