- This year’s The International 11 will feature 20 teams and an extra stage
- Singapore will host the event over four consecutive weekends from October 8 to 30
- Information on ticketing and other details will be released on June 8
This year’s Dota 2 The International event comes bigger than ever, with Singapore hosting it in October.
Valve Confirms the Event Dates
The International is one of the biggest Dota 2 events in the competitive season. As it suggests, it's a global event attracting millions of viewers worldwide to tune in and watch as the best Dota 2 teams in the world compete for the grand prize. The event grew so much in recent years that The International even won Valve a Sports Emmy for the company’s excellent coverage of the competition.
Working on that success, Valve recently confirmed the dates and place for this year’s The International. The event will see 20 teams from all around the world duke it out in Singapore over the span of four consecutive weekends from October 8 to October 30.
The International 11 Is Split into Four Stages
This year’s event will be longer than previous ones because Valve decided to add more slots for teams. The last chance qualifiers, which will run from October 8 to 12, will be of great help to second and third-place teams. These cannot qualify for TI through their region’s qualifiers but will be given the chance to play in one last LAN event or a chance to make the main stage. This means that the previously 18-slot event is now expanded to 20 teams.
The International 11 will essentially now have four separate parts:
- Last Chance Qualifiers: As already mentioned, this is the event that will give the second and third place teams one last chance to perform on the main stage. It will run from October 8 to 12, with only the two top teams being allowed to move forward.
- Group Stage: Like other International events, this Group Stage will see teams battle it out for a chance to win a spot in the playoffs. The main difference this year is that it will start with 20, not 18 teams. This stage will be held between October 15 to 18.
- Playoffs: The teams that have proven themselves will go onto the playoffs. They will be held at SunTec Singapore during October 20-23, “where the field will narrow further”, according to Valve’s statement.
- Finals: This stage will crown the champions of TI11. The event will be held at Singapore Indoor Stadium from October 29-30.
Valve has said it will release another major info update on June 8 which will reveal ticketing information for SunTec and Singapore Indoor Stadium. Valve also confirmed that the 7.31d Gameplay Update, as well as “several exciting new features,” will also be released on June 8.